Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Flip Class and the ISN

So as you all know, I'm in love with the ISN.  IN LOVE!  Sadly, as in love with ISN as I am,  I need a change.  Change is good when done right.  When done wrong, it's really just a pain.  I, as well as the most amazing co-teacher anyone could ever ask for, have decided it's time for change.  I know, you're probably thinking, she's nuts.  Why change when she has everything for the past two years at her fingertips?  Call me crazy, but I'm bored.  I'm absolutely bored of the way I teach.  Funny as I'm still considered a newbie to the field and I'm already bored.  I find that gross and annoying all wrapped into one, and you're probably right, there is something must be wrong with me.  I mean, seriously, check us out below (haha):

Seriously.  Love this.


We are so cheesy but yet this was so much fun :D 

This year, I have decided change how a teach and present the information totally different.  I want to flip my classroom.  Seriously, it's time.  For those of you who don't know what the flip classroom is, it is a classroom where the instruction is delivered 'outside' the classroom and the activities that are usual considered homework are done in class.  @Gayle_Gawlik explained it as a class that is inside out - its still the same clothes, but just put on differently.  Less time doing laundry.  I found this to be brilliant because this was the exact explanation that I was looking for.  It seriously is the best way to describe what it is.  There is less time focused on the direct instruction and more time focused on the students understanding the material and being able to complete the tasks.  It's going to be a very difficult process for me because many of my students do not have access to computers at home.  I'm working this out and following some really awesome people on twitter that have some answers to my questions/problems (Side note - twitter is the best pd in the world - I WISH I could use all I learn on twitter towards my pd).  Also, not everything has to be done outside - it all depends on the student, I'm reading a book on the Flipped Classroom right now and will probably post about it at a later date (I'm too excited to wait on this post!)

As a first step, I'm creating a library of videos and works that will help my students as they take this adventure with me.  So, being my goofy self (to my students, outside in the professional setting/'teacher talking to other teachers', I'm like that wallflower that is just there.  Or so I was, I really have to shut up lately...I blame the power of the blog!), I have created a small little video to explain the way I set up my ISN.  It just gets into the basics of things, but it's 2 minutes plus of Valdes/Baldino goodness.  To us it's funny, to our students, well to our students, we are probably the oddest pair of teachers they have come across, but we keep it real and fun for them.  After we show this little intro, we'll do a small little activity from it that will allow them to get up and move around.  Obviously, we are only the facilitators.  They will then complete their Author's pages in their notebooks.

Things I'm working on this weekend as I begin this amazing endeavor:  A YouTube channel and a place to keep everything organized - it's a toss up - Edmodo or Edu2.0.  I'll get back to you on what I pick :)  There is one thing that I know about doing the flip class this year:  It's going to make something that I love even more meaningful and more amazing.  Now that's just "awesome".

So without further ado, I present to you a little ISN introduction (yay!):

Interactive Student Notebook Introduction

Hope you enjoy :D

6 comments:

  1. What did you decide? I use edu2.0 and love it. Some of the other teachers at my school found it too hard and they use edmodo - I tried edmodo but I still prefer edu2.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with Edmodo. The kids have been pretty good using it. I wish it was more streamlined but it's working. They've done a lot to update the site since last year, so it's helped.

      I found out that my school is looking to go with My Big Campus. Just from the video, I'm super excited about it. We'll see what happens.

      (Sorry - so much has happened over the last few months of school. I know I've been slacking :( Hopefully I can update asap)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm a middle school Science teacher and I just started the whole teacher blog thing. I figured it's a great way to stay organized and also to stay in the loop with new teaching methods used by "colleagues" all over the country. I found your blog through bloglovin' and I'm glad I did. I hope you can take a look at my blog and find it as helpful and interesting as I find yours. :) Thanks!
    -D. Cortez
    teachingcortez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated with this idea! I am going into my 3rd year middle school science and I'm really intrigued with this idea. Worried its too late for this year. (Maybe somehow after winter break) want more details! Especially with how you deal with students who don't have computer access.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a high school teacher and I used a flipped classroom last year. My students had a lot of trouble with notes, so I'm considering ISNs for next year. I have a question for you about ISNs - what do you do with students who can't fit all of their notes on one page? I have some students who have special needs and write larger, so I don't know if they'll be able to fit it all, which can throw off their whole ISN. Any thoughts?

    My school has a learning management system that I have to use, but I have worked with teachers before who use edmodo and youtube for flipped classes. Check out the website EdPuzzle. I LOVE IT.

    I am starting to blog this school year (teachinghsscience.blogspot.com). We should link up because I think we have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a few years to late Stephanie, but i have my students staple a new page onto of the other one. Just lay it on top & staple it 2 times at the top. This way they can lift it up to see the other notes. I do this when they run out of room on their TOC also.

    ReplyDelete